Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Letter to Todd

Hi,

I know I have not uploaded much but I am working on what I think will be a powerful first major piece for this blog. Keep an eye out for it; "Responsibility."


In the mean time, I have decided to write smaller ideas on topics that come accross my attention such as with former exec. of SC GOP, Todd Kincannon's, defense of openly mocking people affected by Katrina and the death of Trayvon Martin on Twitter this past sunday. 


Todd Kincannon in his Twitter Profile Picture 
A quote from the former exec defending his remarks reads: 

"“I think it is funny to make jokes that enlighten people on political problems,” Kincannon said. He added the purpose of satire “sometimes is to offend people, to teach a lesson.”~Raw Story (http://s.tt/1znAR)


No. What The Daily Show and The Colbert Report do is political satire, that is comedy for the sake of enlightening people and offending people to get a point accross. What you did was completely insult the death of a young man who even if he was a "thug," as you so beautifully and stereotypically put it, did not deserve to be shot like he was and for something as trivial as skin color, an issue a lot of people think we are past but it becomes so apparent everyday that we have SO much more work to do, as incompetent politicians like you prove. 

If you can't understand why the death of Trayvon was political, you sir, are clearly no politician and if you can't understand the differnece between political satire and blatant disregard for the sanctity of life I doubt your humanity as well. 

That's where I stand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment